Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A CEF university student studied child sexual abuse ~ Guest blog by CEF's Ms Kim Chi


Child sexual abuse is more common than we like to think. It's an uncomfortable subject to think about and talk about, but is very important to discuss and educate children about. This year CEF started introducing this subject to our students. Below Kim Chi wrote about the experience of one of our students learning about this subject.

L is in her third year at Hue University of Economics and also volunteers for an NGO in Hue. She has attended a lot of training sessions with them and recently one called ’Child sexual abuse’ impressed her. She shared her experience with me in our monthly mentoring session and here is an extract from our conversation:
‘I was very lucky to have the opportunity to take part in a training session called “How to prevent child sexual abuse” which was organized by the NGO I volunteer for. Although I am 21, I’m still embarrassed to talk about topics to do with sex. The training gave me more confidence and taught me more about this issue. I also heard real stories from the children about child sexual abuse which they thought was normal. Most of the children participating in the session were aged six to fifteen and knew very little about the topic. I thought the parents should take part in this training as well so they have greater awareness of child sexual abuse and can help to prevent it.’

No comments:

Post a Comment